Saturday, March 17, 2012

Hot Pads

I have a favorite hot pad.

I get annoyed when it is not where I expect it to be.

If there's another one on the counter, right next to the stove, I'll still go looking for this one.

What makes it so special?

It's a double-thick, tightly crocheted cotton hot pad, with weird self-striping yarn of yellow, pink, and turquoise. It must have been hand made but I don't remember where I got it from.

I like it because it's small. It's just the right size to leave draped over a cast-iron skillet handle without dragging in anything (although I don't have to do that now because my mother-in-law gave me some nice little pot handle sleeves for Christmas). It's about a span diagonally (see, if not for anthropic measurements, I would've had to go find a ruler instead of continuing my blog post. Take that metriphiles). Other pot holders are too big. The extra material gets in the way, like if you are pulling a tray of nachos out of the oven, the corner of a big hot pad would get all in the melted cheese, which is not good for the nachos OR the hot pad.

It's like too-big dish cloths, which are also annoying. But I digress.

I like it because it's a smooth yarn. I have another crocheted hot pad that's about the same size, and it's even a better color, objectively--although I have to say I don't really see the color anymore--blue, which matches my kitchen, but it's kind of loose, and fuzzy. It's unpleasant to touch, and feels like it's going to get little fibers in the food. Also like it's not going to protect me very well from the heat of whatever I'm holding.

My favorite hot pad now has a rip on one edge that is unraveling a little bit. It better cut that out right now or else there goes my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment